- Published: Friday, 27 January 2017 14:50
- Written by Louise Stevens
Cases from our clinic by Charmian Wylde
Winter colds and 'flu
Yvonne came back from holiday in November with a nasty sore throat, swollen glands and headaches and still felt unwell over Christmas. Although the fever and main symptoms subsided, she felt she had not fully recovered. She felt exhausted and lethargic with no energy or motivation. Despite feeling so tired, her sleep was disrupted, she kept getting sore throats and suffered watering eyes and a runny nose. All in all, she was low and miserable.
Acupuncture can help you recover from colds, winter bugs and 'flu faster. We need more studies, but so far, research has shown that patients receiving acupuncture have elevated immune enhancing hormones and blood counts for up to three days after treatment. (*Kawakita 2008).
We started Yvonne's treatment by using an acupuncture point located on the inside of the thumb joint to help with the sore throat, as well as selected other acupuncture points that are thought to increase the body's strength in fighting bugs. After the first treatment, Yvonne's sore throat disappeared and she felt she had a little more energy. We also used points to relieve congestion. At this point we encouraged gentle walking and suggested she reduce the amount of coffee and tea she was drinking too. Following this advice, Yvonne slept better and felt more energised. After four further acupuncture treatments, Yvonne felt herself again.
As well as formulating an individualised treatment plan, an acupuncturist devotes time in a consultation to discussing lifestyle changes with you. This might include looking at your daily diet and the amount of exercise you take.
(Names have been changed)
More Articles ...
- The Year of the Fire Rooster
- Introducing Kim Latore, specialising in treating Children
- Herbal medicine and Antibiotics
- Asthma, Chinese Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture and Diet
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Acupuncture, Herbal Medicine and Diet
- New Acupuncture Practitioner Joining our Team!
- The New Year brings The Fire Monkey
- Movie trailer about Weymouth Acupuncture
- To Detox or Not to Detox - That is the Question!
- Period Problems and Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture
- Headache and Migraines
- Lingering Pathogens - What are they?
- The Importance of a Holiday!
- An MOQi, or alternative health check up
- Painful Obstruction Syndrome
- Thyroid Disorders & Chinese Medicine
- Acupuncture Offers Allergy Relief
- Crohn’s Disease
- Depression Awareness Week
- Herbs to treat inflammation: The 10 most powerful natural medicines that really work.
- Movie trailer for AcuHerbs, Weymouth Acupuncture Clinic
- Exam Stress and Acupuncture
- Save the date - 15th April - Acuherbs Weymouth Open Day
- Chinese Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture and Hay Fever
- Stress and Digestion
- Secondary Infertility, Acupuncture & Low Sperm Count
- Acupuncture Awareness Week - March (Dorset's Acupuncture Centre)
- Fertility and Treatments alongside IVF procedures
- Period Pains: Treatment with Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture, Weymouth and Dorchester
- Aches and Pains
- Moxibustion and how this treatment can help
- Dietary Therapy
- Digestive Disorders
- Stress and Anxiety
- Women's Health
- Extended Acupuncture hours in Dorchester, Dorset
- Morning Sickness & Acupuncture